Friday, November 10, 2006

Ok, so now we wait?

Guess I spoke too soon about it being a waiting game, since our lender called last night to give us our "packet" - AKA a whole bunch of papers to sign! Not that it took very long, just about 30 min. of her describing the papers to me (Julia) and then Aaron and I signing them and going over them together later. We also wrote out two checks, one for $475 to cover our application and appraisal fee and one for $932 which is our "lock in" to the 6.25% interest rate - we are required to "buy a point" off of the 7.25% rate at the cost of 10% of our total financing - $93200. The $932 check is actually returned to us at closing and we add that amount into the really big check we write.

I passed the papers and checks in this morning and signed two pages in front of a notary and Aaron will stop by after work to do the same. I've also given my attorney a call because it appears that the neighbor's driveway actually goes onto our land a bit. Not something I'm upset about, but we were told it may be important information for our survey. I'm also trying to get estimates from him about the cost of the tax search, survey and abstract - our lender gave us a guesstimate, but of course the lawyer has more knowledge of how much those things can end up costing.

I'm starting to pinch our pennies where I can because although the downpayment and the proceding mortgage payments are taken care of, I want a big cushion for all the little things that come up when you move into a new house - curtains, waste baskets, cleaning supplies, organizers, etc, not to mention the cost of moving itself. Nothing worrisome, I'm just hoping to get the house as put together and organized as it can be as quickly as I can manage. If you couldn't tell already, I'm big on being organized!

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Julia- The driveway on your land is called an encroachment. If your neighbor decides to be nasty they can try and claim that portion of your land via Adverse possession (meaning that they have used it for 10 years or more and thus should be part of their property). If the dont' agree that they are encroaching and make no claim on the property it may devalue the land. Also it may make it a pain to sell later on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home