Friday, December 02, 2011

Progress... 4+ years in the making

When we started work on the house, I had two projects very dear to me - Upgrade the master bathroom and build a linen closet in the empty corner of the hall bathroom. But we never got beyond clearing out the corner and a failed attempt at removing the awful master bathroom wallpaper. Finally, we hired a contractor (who showed up on time, loved our animals, and came in on budget - you're jealous, I know) and we now have...

A LINEN CLOSET!


And... A FINISHED MASTER BATHROOM!


Ok, actually it's only partially finished. I'm guessing the toilet in the tub tipped you off. The contractor ran into some snags with faulty parts in the sink and shower, so he's coming back next week to finish it off. In the meantime, he left the walls fresh and clean so I could choose the color of my choice and paint to my heart's content. And since he's coming back on Monday, that's keeping me motivated to actually do the painting.


Have you ever noticed that painting a small room is a lot more prep and cleanup than actual painting? I have. I put the first coat on the ceiling as part one of the process tonight.

To prepare:
  • Go to Lowe's, agonize, pick out a paint color, buy it
  • Find the paint tray, roller handle, brushes... discover that we have no rollers
  • Go back to Lowe's, buy rollers
  • Get home, change into acceptable painting gear, put my hair up
  • Turn on the tunes
  • Stir, and stir, and stir the ceiling paint..
  • Grab damp and dry cleaning clothes

To paint:

  • Pour paint
  • Roll for 2 songs
  • Do the edges with a small brush for 1 song
  • Peer up and attempt to see thin spots... hard to say with that bare bulb blinding me

To clean up:

  • Pick up all paint covered items and carefully transport them to a room with running water
  • Close master bathroom so dogs don't play with supplies
  • Wash edging brush and stir stick
  • Wash paint tray and roller handle
  • Wash paint roller until you are certain the manufacturers have created trick fibers that constantly release milky paint water ad nauseum
Tomorrow, or later tonight if I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I'll be painting the walls. The paint color I chose is pretty bland and has a name befitting a bland color - Gravel. It's meant to compliment the new shower curtain and bath rug that are of similar non-offensive color schemes. I'd love to be more colorful and creative but with a 5 x 7 room, I figured less was more.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger meowsandmutts said...

Looks great! And I didn't even catch the toilet.... Nice colors. Almost don't want to put anything IN the linen closet, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home