Sunday, July 08, 2012

Farewell to West Bentley

I was reviewing the blog this evening when I realized that I never posted my official goodbye to our home. Better later than never...

Written April 26, 2012

5 years later and our journey at West Bentley is complete. Tomorrow morning, we load up a rental truck and start the long drive to Maine. It is hard to capture that 5 year journey in a single blog post, so here are the highlights:

Love
From vows written in home repair analogies to quiet hugs during stressful times, love has been the center of our life here.  We've gone from being engaged, to married, to acting like an old married couple, to acting like the 30-something married couple we actually are.  We couldn't get to where we are now without where we have been, so I am grateful for our time here, both good and bad. Thankfully, love travels well and will continue with us on the next adventure. 



Loss

The day of our first house showing we lost our beloved Boxer girl, Xena.  It was quick and painless for her, though painful and shocking for us.  I picked up the dogs at noon, I noticed she didn't feel well by 1pm, and by 5pm she was gone.  Xena was our first pet together and our first dog as adults. You can see my tribute to her on my Wynkyn Boxers blog, Lessons from a Parking Lot Puppy.  In a way, her death was the beginning of our goodbye to the house.  

Leaving
While the house is in chaos all over and there are many photos I could take, this is the one that felt most significant.

Funny how some of the easiest things are the hardest to pack.  As we plowed through all the things we needed to box today, I kept saying I would start packing my clothes and then find an excuse to switch to something else.  Somehow packing clothes felt more difficult than boxing up dishes or sheets.  Maybe because once your clothes are gone, you really don't live there anymore.

New Beginnings
I will be starting a new blog to chronicle our new lives in Maine.  Aaron has informed me that the next home isn't West Bentley because only Bentleys will be living there.  I know that isn't exactly true since I am very much a West, but I agree that a new story deserves a new name and space.  I'll let everyone know where to look once when the time comes. In the meantime, you can keep up with our other new beginning - our new Boxer pup, Delta (named after the mathematical symbol for change) on my dog blog, All Around Dogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home